Chess is a global game. Chess grandmasters can be found all around the world in different cities and on different continents. When it's all said and done, some of the greatest chess games can be found on these ten cities:
1. Moscow, Russia: With nine chess world champions claiming Russia's capital as home at one point or another, Moscow has proven to be a formidable chess city. The metropolitan home to more than 12 million people has hosted 15 world chess championships and two Chess Olympiads.
2. Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia: This city in Russia hosted four FIDE World Cups between the years of 2005 and 2011. Khanty-Mansiysk has also hosted the 2010 Chess Olympiad.
3. St. Louis, Missouri: Surprisingly, Missouri is home to one of the strongest chess cities in the world. Its chess community is growing as a result of the efforts of The Chess Club and Scholastic Center of St. Louis.
4. New York, New York: Pedestrians strolling through Washington Square Park can find some of the chess games being played in America. Legends such as Bobby Fischer have played in the park. Chess is popular game in the Big Apple and has attracted many amateurs and grandmasters over the years.
5. Reykjavik, Iceland: Despite having a small population compared to other cities on this list, Reykjavik has six of Iceland's eight grandmasters. The capital of Iceland also hosted the 2015 European team championship.
6. Baku, Azerbaijan: Baky is the home of Garry Kasparov. He was the world champion from 1985 to 2000 and will go down in history as one of the greatest of all time.
7. London, England: The land of many castles, London hosted the first international chess tournament in 1851. London has also hosted seven world championships.
8. Tromso, Norway: The city of Tromso hosted the 2013 FIDE World Cup. Tromso also hosted the 2014 Chess Olympiad, one of the top international chess events in the world.
9. St. Petersburg, Russia: Many grandmasters have claimed St. Petersburg as home.
10. Havana, Cuba: The most well-known chess tournament is the Capablanca Memorial Tournament which has hosted chess players since 1962. The Havana Chess Club has been around since 1885 leading to a long history of avid chess players in Cuba.
What cities should we add to our list? Let us know in the comments below!
The classic game of chess on a global scale. It's Globe Chess.